May 18, 2023
♥ Our event will be IN PERSON! ♥
2023 FPA NENY 22nd Annual Symposium – In Person
Course Descriptions and Learning Objectives
Click on the down arrow to expand and close tabs.
Presented by Holly Swan, JD of Eaton Vance
The After-Tax Advisor® helps clients minimize their tax exposures and keep their wealth plans on track. In this presentation, we explore how to build a better tax experience for your clients with three tax tenets (Learning Objectives):
- Taxes can be a client’s easiest investment “fee” to reduce.
- Asset location can be as important as asset allocation.
- Uncle Sam can be a coach, not just a referee.
Suggested Reading: Holly publishes blog posts under the Eaton Vance Coach’s Corner Blog Series. Click HERE.
Presented by Jeremy Siegel, Wisdom Tree‘s Senior Investment Strategy Advisor and Emeritus Professor of Finance at The Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania. – presented virtually
Professor Siegel shares his thoughts on the markets and economy. Putting today’s market and economic environment into an historical context is one of his unique capabilities and with stocks near all-time highs and structural forces holding down bond yields for the foreseeable future, the forward expectations for both growth and income from the traditional 60/40 model has to be revised downward. Furthermore, as people are living longer, the risk of a client’s portfolio falling short of their retirement needs has grown.
- Understanding the major current issues facing global markets and the economy.
- How today’s market and economic environment fits into a longer-view historic context.
- Reviewing historic and current equity and bond market trends and observation on global equity valuations.
- Understanding the impact of the COVID-19 crisis on stock and bond returns and the future for inflation.
Suggested reading: Wisdom Tree’s Weekly Siegel Commentary ARCHIVE
More than one-third of financial professionals will retire within the next ten years, accounting for nearly 40% of the industry’s assets. Many of the acquiring and retiring financial professionals are unprepared for the comprehensive planning and communications needed to succeed. Over one quarter of those who said they planned to retire also said they did not have a succession plan.
Succession plans need a clear, concise, and consistent communications strategy to be successful. When potentially disrupting long-term client relationships, it matters what you say, when you say it, and how you say it.
- 3 stages of communication.
- “3C” language principles and sequence for use in all communications.
- The emotional reaction investors had to conventional messaging.
- How retiring financial professionals should write their farewell letters.
- How acquiring financial professionals should greet new clients.
Suggested reading: Invesco’s fact sheet: Changing of the Guard – A comprehensive approach to succession planning
Presented by Brad Rutan, CFA of MFS
Join us for Brad Rutan’s take on everything fixed. As a familiar guest of the Chapter, Brad is back to evaluate various components of the fixed income markets. Brad will highlight opportunities and risks across investment styles relative to each other and additional asset classes. Yield curve management, credit risk awareness, and questions about when to stem the tide into CDs will all be covered.
- Learn what drives fixed income returns with a “do and “do not” share.
- Understand how to manage fixed income assets through mini cycles.
- Learn a meaningful perspective on how the impact of bonds has historically changed for contributions to portfolio performance.
Insights from our Fixed Income Experts: HERE
Presented by Deirdre Van Nest, Founder, Crazy Good Talks
Communication matters, now more than ever because it’s no longer enough to be the smartest or most skilled financial professional in the room! Whether you’re speaking for 1 minute, 1 hour, or 1 day, people make judgements about your competency based upon your public speaking skills. Make your business message clear, understandable, and strong.
- Learn how to communicate your message with confidence and engagement.
- Understand how great communication brands you as a leader.
- Discover how great communication leads to having a bigger impact on your client’s (and their families) lives. Ensure your clients are engaged in and understanding of the information you’re discussing with them. T
Suggested reading: Deirdre Van Nest’s YouTube channel: Crazy Good Talks
FPA Partner & Sponsor Info for the Symposium
Reg/Breakfast at 8:15am
1: 9:00 to 9:50am
2: 10:15 to 11:05am
3: 11:25am to 12:15pm
Lunch 12:15pm - 1:00pm
5: 2:00 to 2:50pm
Raffle & Happy Hour!